Saturday, January 7, 2012

Maryam: The Birth of Jesus

In Sura 19, a virgin Maryam, after a visitation of an angel, births Jesus, who, as a newborn baby speaks great words of wisdom (see below).  I just love the idea of an infant Jesus, claiming his role as prophet, and proclaiming that he will be resurrected after he dies.  Jesus was a badass baby!

While Islam doesn't believe Jesus was God, they must believe that prophets like Jesus are not quite normal people, as Jesus was born from a virgin and spoke when he was an infant, which is impossible for normal humans.  So God must have intervened. 

I'd love to hear more from my Muslim friends about this birth narrative.  I find it very interesting and inspiring to read about the birth of Jesus in the Quran, from another perspective.  It adds complexity and power to the story of Jesus to have another account.  It also deepens my faith.  And while I tend to see Jesus as more of a human prophet than fully God which would align more with Muslims, Jesus is, for me, the paradigm prophet, and is effectively God in the praxis of my faith.  So while I am closer in Christology to Muslims, I still fall somewhere in between the Muslim view of human prophet and the traditional Christian view of fully God, fully human.  It may not be that Jesus' was essentially different than any other prophets for me, but the difference lies, in that, the epicenter or focus of my faith is Jesus.

Enjoy the Muslim art below as well.  

[19:29] She pointed to him. They said, "How can we talk with an infant in the crib?"

[19:30] (The infant spoke and) said, "I am a servant of GOD. He has given me the scripture, and has appointed me a prophet.

[19:31] "He made me blessed wherever I go, and enjoined me to observe the Contact Prayers (Salat) and the obligatory charity (Zakat) for as long as I live.

[19:32] "I am to honor my mother; He did not make me a disobedient rebel.

[19:33] "And peace be upon me the day I was born, the day I die, and the day I get resurrected."

 

Posted via email from Chaplain Jake Hofmeister

No comments:

Post a Comment