Monday, December 5, 2011

The Second Week of Advent: Surah 7:81 and Homosexuality in Islam

I read through Surah 7 and the story of Lot and Sodom and Gomorrah caught my attention.  The 81 first seems to denounce homosexuality, or atleast male homosexuality as a sin.  It reads: "Indeed, you approach men with desire, instead of women. Rather, you are a transgressing people."  

From a progressive Christian perspective, this verse has similar occurrences in Christian scripture which has been used by the church to denounce homosexuality and ostracize the LGBTQ community.  And while many Christians remain in the camp that view homosexuality a sin, many (and I say most of the younger generation) Christians have moved to an inclusive view of the LGBTQ community, seeing it as a justice issue, and reinterpreting scripture (whether using the historical context to denounce its universality or upholding a non-literal, literary genre focused view).  My own denomination, the PC(USA) has recently allowed ministers to be in openly gay relationships http://www.pcusa.org/news/2011/5/10/churchwide-letter-concerning-amendment-10-/

I agree with the decision and voted to support its passing in my denomination.  And I believe most Christians in the younger generation, especially, support it.  

So I was wondering how the conversation is being addressed in Islam?  Do most American Muslims disagree with homosexuality?  Is there a diversity of views among Muslims? 

It seems that at least a small group of Muslims throughout the world are beginning to accept homosexuality as a gift from God.  Check out this youtube video interview with an openly gay Imam in South Africa.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments on this one.  I respect the religious and scriptural stance, especially in other religions like Islam, that homosexuality is a sin, if the position is taken out of concern for righteous and faithful living (while I still believe the view that homosexuality is a sin is wrong in my own Christianity).  But I definitely disagree, if prejudice and bigotry is a motivational force for anti-homosexuality.  

Posted via email from Advent with Islam: A Presbyterian Chaplain's Journey with the Quran

No comments:

Post a Comment